Our blog has moved

Our blog has moved to a new location-you'll be automatically redirected to our new blog. Please search for the post you're interested in once you reach our new blog location. Thanks!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Market Worries...Is it making it hard to celebrate?

With record stock market lows and dire reports circulating on every news outlet about the status of our economy, I wonder what this is doing to our psyche? Obviously, if you work in the financial sector, your job may be at risk and your psyche is the least of your concerns. But, for those of us who have maintained our jobs, and life as we know hasn't changed much (in fact, in some cases gotten better, i.e. lower gas prices) how is all this bad news affecting our moods?

I have taken big loses in the stock market, flinch when I look at my Roth IRA account, but am still fine. I have food on the table, can afford my mortgage and am enjoying smaller gas bills for my car. Yes, I spend less and think twice when I go shopping, but on the grander scale, I think that all this bad news has begun to chip away at my happy meter. Should I let it? Or, should I stop reading the paper and get back to what I love, which is getting together with friends and family, laughing and celebrating even the tiniest of great things that have recently happened? It does seem a little silly to not worry, but as I am writing this post, I realize one important thing: I really have no control of the stock market and thus, can't worry about it. Why let it affect me in and my overall happiness? How are you dealing with the dire news? Any advice to keep things positive are welcome.

No comments: